Monday, October 18, 2010

Public Art First Impression - "Duel Nature"

      While I was on my drift project I came across "Duel Nature" by Kate Raudenbush. Upon first seeing "Duel Nature" I was uncertain of what exactly it was. I didn't know what it was supposed to be, if it was art, if it was supposed to be pretty or ugly, who put it there, or why. I had no idea what to think of this very interesting piece, but as I got closer and looked harder, I found the piece to be very unique. I had never seen anything quite like it. When you are near "Duel Nature" it sort of leaves one speachless for a little while. All you can say is "wow." I found it very interesting that the inside of the art was a very intense red and it had mirrors inside of it. I saw what looked to be lights in the middle of it, and would love to someday go back to "Duel Nature" in the evening when the lights are on. I can't even imagine how neat it would looke with the red and the mirrors and the spotlights. "Duel Nature" was really fun to just stand and look at for awhile. I am still not sure what exactly Raudenbush was trying to say when she created this unique work, but I do know that it has something to do with DNA. When observing this art, I didn't even really care what it meant, or why it was where it was, it was just really interesting to look at and appreciate.  



1 comment: